Teaching history with literature is not a new concept to homeschoolers but I'm posting on it today because a friend of mine, who is new to homeschooling, asked me how I go about finding the historical fiction I read to the boys.
To answer that question I must first admit (as I have before on this blog) that I am one of those annoying homeschooling mothers that loves homeschooling. I love pouring over curriculum catalogs and piecing together a plan. I don't do homeschool in a box because it takes all of the adventure out of it. However, I do count on a few curriculum providers that I trust to point me in the right direction.
Veritas Press and Sonlight are my two favorites, especially for history. I must admit that one time I did buy pre-written history curriculum (from Veritas Press) but it was just too focused on memorization for my taste. So here is my formula for figuring out which historical literature we read:
- Gather your Veritas Press and Sonlight catalogs, a notepad, a pen and a cup of hot tea and find a comfy spot. (I find it easier to use the catalogs than the internet for this part. Also this works best when your hubby and kids are out or sleeping so that you will have time to ponder your thoughts.)
- Cross reference the two catalogs for whatever time period you'll be studying. (I try to do this at least one semester in advance.)
- Write down every book that the three of you agree on, (You, Veritas Press and Sonlight.) and any others that you find interesting as well.
- Research the books on your list on Amazon.com.
- Decide if some books need to be crossed off your list based on your research and if so do so.
- Check to see if you can get any of them at the library and if you can make a note of it. (Don't forget to try inter-library loan.)
- Check to see if you can get any of the others on paperpackswap.com.
- Send an email out to all your homeschooling friends to see if they have any of the remaining books and will let you borrow them.
- Now and only now would I even consider paying retail for a book. And to be honest chances are you have enough books that you can get for free.
- P.S. I also pretty much memorize the entire Veritas Press catalog so that any time I see a book I need at a garage sale or thrift store I recognize it immediately and can pick it up cheap. I also purchase the history coloring books (like this one) offered by Veritas Press and any other fun stuff I can find cheap to supplement our reading.
No comments:
Post a Comment