Friday, September 18, 2009

Too Sick to be "Teach"

September found it's rhythm right about the time I got sick a week ago. At first I felt bad about all the down time we've had but then I realized that the boys didn't mind and their educations haven't suffered a bit.

W has been spending his time pouring over books about robots and dinosaurs. He is not reading these books, instead he's really taking his time studying the pictures and trying to learn what he can from them.

He is so opposite from me. I am a reader and a researcher and watching him learn in his own way is difficult for me. However, I've been resisting the urge to offer to read the books to him. I asked him if he'd like to read them to me and he said no. So I'm letting it go and trusting that he will either connect the dots or ask for help when/if he needs it.

J has immersed himself in dramatic play surrounding the Underland Chronicles. All of his toy bats, rats and insects, along with his Star Wars guys have become the characters we've grown to love. Because of me being sick we've probably listened to 5 hours of these books on audio CD this week and have now finished book 5. (It's better than movies all day!) So he's had lots of time to act out the stories, draw the stories and of course, he and W both love to retell the stories to Dad at night. These books are so great for J because animals play such a large part in them and he LOVES animals!!

We've also spent our time this week learning more about the history of skateboarding, Samuel (from the Bible), and local government. We've practiced handwriting, reviewed some of the math tricks we know, attended chess club and delivered cookies to people who visited our church last week. (Luckily none of them were home so they didn't have to see how sick their cookie delivery girl was. I didn't bake or touch the cookies but they wouldn't have known that.)

The lesson I learned this week is that because life goes on even when Mom is sick, learning does too!

Hope you're having a wonderful week of living and learning,

2 comments:

  1. Seems to me that they learned plenty this week! :)

    Blessings
    Hope you feel better,
    Eevee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally, a christian unschooler!
    any idea how long I've searched???

    ReplyDelete