Sunday, October 12, 2008

My Wonderful Hubby and His Wonderful Gift

Often my wonderful hubby crawls out of bed, takes care of typical morning business, gets dressed and starts lacing up his running shoes. He loves to take a quick 10 - 15 minute run before he has to face decision making, daddy hood and eventually making people beautiful. (He's a hairdresser.) This part of his routine is mostly uneventful, but not today!

Today he was walking back in the door within 2 minutes of having walked out of it. When asked why his response was, "Our neighbors are having a garage sale." Initially I wasn't sure if this was good or bad news because with my husband that could mean he spotted a broken arcade game that he wants to drag home and put in the living room or it could mean what it did mean (this time), he found something he knew I would be interested in.

So I made my way down the street and around the corner and laid my eyes on the very object that had my husband abandoning his run in favor of making my day. It was an armoire with 2 drawers on the bottom and 2 doors on the top that opened to reveal 2 shelves, one large enough for our TV and the other perfect for our VCR/DVD player and our PlayStation. We've never been known to be very fancy and this piece was just fancy enough to step our decor up a notch but not so fancy as to look out of place. There were no scratches, discolorations or broken pieces...it looked brand new and so for $50.00 it was a bargain! Needless to say we handed over the cash and took it home with us without delay!

I have been longing for a way to shut the TV out of our lives during school or when entertaining friends and family for years now, but as a single income family we've learned to appreciate delayed gratification. I've heard it said that young people now days think they have to start out their adult lives with all the beautiful things their parents spent a lifetime collecting. Somehow we've managed to avoid that mentality for the most part and slowly I can see us gathering the things that may be worth holding onto (unless God calls us to the mission field!!!).

It's now Sunday, and I started this post yesterday. In rereading it I realize that I really enjoyed bring this piece of furniture into my living room, rearranging our older furniture so it fit and doing some of the deep cleaning that goes along with those tasks. However, the most wonderful part of the day (and the part that I was about to leave out) was my husbands willingness to stop what he was doing and make my day. Telling me about this armoire cost him money, time, and effort and it means a lot to me that he was willing to give it. I never want to take him for granted!

Have a beautiful day,

2 comments:

  1. Penny - It nice being able to follow the day to day stuff by reading your blog. Can't wait to see you again and to see your new find. Love you, Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you were able to have that special moment! Thank you for sharing it with all of us :) Have an amazing week and hopefully I can stop in and see the newest furniture addition!

    ReplyDelete