Saturday, April 24, 2010

Garden Adventures

This last week has been full of gardening adventures. I use the word adventures because we're really not gardeners. My dad is an excellent produce gardener but I think the green thumb must have skipped a generation. Not a good thing for me or my plants but I'm not willing to give up.

I've read that vegetable seed sales are up quite a bit due to "the bad economy" and I have to admit that is part of it for us too but it's more than that. It just makes sense to spend money on plants that will pay us back! And the process of gardening is a great science lesson for the boys. (Yes, we do count time in the garden as school!) It also teaches us to trust in God and not rely on someone else to provide us with the things we need. So together we're learning all of these things.

It's been fun so far!

We've planted
  • broccoli
  • lettuce
  • strawberries
  • tomatoes
  • peas

And have purchased to plant

  • blueberries
  • rosemary
  • basil

And intend to purchase to plant

  • cucumbers and
  • onions

Hopefully we'll have some pictures to post soon. Have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. I saw your reference to Runt the Brave and wondered if you knew that the author is local. He was at the recent h.s. convention and also teaches a class at Brighton on writing. He now has his own writing curriculum as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never met him but I did meet his daughter at a friends house. I'm also friends with him on facebook. I'm really impressed with his work.

    ReplyDelete