Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Poetry Party 2010

January 22, the boys and I are hosting a Poetry Party. We're memorizing poetry to recite. We're writing poems to read. We're planning what fancy desserts we'll make. We're pondering how to make a "stage". And we're learning a bit in the process. :)

I'll give more info as it comes together. For now the first few posts I'm planning will let you in on what we're memorizing.

So here it is...W is memorizing the following poems....
Stupid Pencil Maker
by Shel Silverstein
Some dummy built this pencil wrong-
The eraser's down here where the point belongs.
And the point's at the top-so it's no good to me.
It's amazing how stupid some people can be.
A Bird
by Emily Dickenson
A bird came down the walk,
He did not know I saw;
He bit an angleworm in halves
And ate the fellow, raw.
And then he drank a dew
From a convenient grass,
And then he hopped sideways to the wall
To let a beetle pass.
The Spider
by Jack Prelutsky
The spider, sly and talented,
Weaves silver webs of silken thread,
Then waits for unobservant flies
...To whom she'll not apologize.

Hope you're having a happy day,

4 comments:

  1. Oh, what a wonderful idea! Love the poems!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course we are too late for suggestions this time, but Rachel's favorite poem right now is

    See What Happened

    See what happened
    Helpless Peter
    Turned into a parking meter
    On the curb he stood all day
    wishing dogs would go away.

    ReplyDelete