
I was so scared to talk to my boys about sex! Afraid that they would laugh the whole time, that they would go around saying vagina in public and they would want lots more information than I was ready to give them! But now that I've done it I am so relieved and I realize how silly my fears were.
We chose to use the book pictured above (Learning About Sex for the Christian Family: Where do Babies Come From? for Boys ages 7-9) as a spring board to start our discussion. It gave the perfect amount of information, was very appropriate and interesting enough that the boys asked if I would read it to them again soon.
We took it slow and covered just a few pages or so a day. I thought it would be good to stop and talk at the end of each topic. The boys asked lots of questions and we were able to have some really wonderful discussions.
Best of all, now that the basics have been covered, the lines of communication are open and I'm no longer fearful of their questions!
Hope you're having a terrific day,
I just like you was nervous but just began answering their questions as they asked. I had seen books before but none of them looked appropriate either too much info or very lala babies come from Paris info, so I said the heack with that.
ReplyDeleteTalking to them did open up the lines of communication, from that point on they kept coming up to me whenever they had a queston regarding themselves and their body or just one of those curious questions.
But they know they can come to mommy and ask questions without being pushed away!
GOOD FOR YOU!
Blessings,
Eevee
I agree...I'm so glad they know they can come to one of their parents for information and it won't be weird. Now let's keep our fingers crossed and pray that it's still true when they're teenagers!
ReplyDeletePenny
thanks for the tip!
ReplyDeleteThis has nothing to do with your post but I knew you'd find it if I posted here. ;)
ReplyDeleteYou can enter the name of the book here http://books.atozteacherstuff.com/leveled-books/index.php?p=getdb&db_id=1 and it will tell you the "Guided Reading/Reading Recovery" level.
From there you can look at this chart:
http://books.atozteacherstuff.com/leveled-books/book-levels-guide.html to see the approximate grade level of the book.
This is how our schools do it.
But truthfully, regardless of what grade level the books say, I think it's great your big boy is building his endurance for reading. :D