Now is about the time each year when I start to really formulate a plan about how our next school year should go here at Life and Love Learning Center. These plans NEVER work out like I think they will but for some reason I love to make them anyway.
I've always tried to write out a schedule of our day and a basic plan about what subjects we would cover every day, once a week, etc. I like to use the beginning of a new school year to evaluate other things as well, such as reassigning chores and figuring out what character traits we need to focus on and fine tune.
This year the academic goals I'm making look a little different than usual and I won't be planning in such a specific way but I'm enjoying thinking through it all.
So here are my goals for the 2009 - 2010 school year.
Spiritual Goals -
- Continue Bible memory as usual.
W is specifically trying to memorize the book of Philippians right now so we will work on that as long as it takes and then decide where to go from there.
- Step up our prayer life.
We have a wonderful prayer chart that I created about a year ago that we put to good use for a while and have recently neglected so I would like to recommit to using the chart to guide our prayers every day.
- Follow the Bible Learning Plan I created a few months ago and finish it up by this time next year.
- Continue learning about what God is doing in other countries and cultures.
I teach about missions at my church each month in order to accomplish this and am happy with the results!
Academic Goals -
- Give my kids a "reason" to write.
I'm looking for pen-pals...children and/or adults...international and domestic.
I'm also thinking that I will start encouraging them to blog a few times a week and I will purchase a couple of magnetic poetry sets (J loves to play with these at the library).
- Give my kids a "reason" to read.
I don't know how to accomplish this yet outside of external rewards. They love being read to and we are constantly listening to books on tape but they would rather do about anything rather than read on their own. So I'm thinking I'm going to have to set up some kind of system that will reward them for reading X number of books.
- Continue to encourage the boys in their math adventures and challenge them to think through math in everyday life.
The boys are doing well where math is concerned and unless they really slack off I think we'll keep doing what we're doing for now.
We've also purchase a couple of books for kids on the history of money and money management and we'll be going over those as a family.
- Learn about Ancient Greece and Rome.
We'll be spending this school year reading lots of historical fiction in an effort to understand this era.
- Continue to get excited about what they're excited about and facilitate following their interests.
Physical Goals -
- Learn all the basic bicycle safety rules.
I don't even know these myself and so the kids don't either. I'll have to look them up online and then we will do a crash course together.
- Learn some basic survival skills.
One of the ways we're hoping to accomplish this is to get involved in Cub Scouts. My brother was a Cub Scout/Boy Scout until he was 18 or so. He loved it AND he learned a ton of basic life skills and survival skills.
Character Goals -
- We'll be focusing on serving others this year.
I'm looking for volunteer opportunities that will be a good fit for our family. Right now we're seriously considering Meals on Wheels.
We'll also be intentional about finding ways to serve our family and our neighbors.
So these are our goals. I'd love to hear yours!

No comments:
Post a Comment