Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Dad's Veggie Garden Bug Spray


My dad used to be a produce gardener and from what I've heard, one of the best. So I've begun collecting advice from him. This I thought I'd share...

Dad's Vegetable Garden Bug Repellent
1/2 cup alcohol
2 tablespoons dish soap
1 gallon warm water

combine and saturate plants using a mister
be especially careful to get the underside of leaves


He also says plant marigolds all around and even inside your veggie garden because bugs hate them. Anyone else have some organic anti-bug wisdom to share?

4 comments:

  1. Ooo, maybe this will help me--I kill plants but not bugs and the kids want a garden this year (we still have to wait a few weeks around here.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's one of my Thai friends' key to "Effective Microorganism."
    (please excuse his broken English) You use brown sugar mix with vegetable and then ferment it for a bout 2-3 weeks. If you use 10 punds of vegetable you should use about the same amount of brown sugar. You cut the sugar in to half. mix the first half with vegetable and then cover the mixed vegetable with the other half. Made the cerface even. then cover the contener lightly wiht paper. Do no let fly get in to lay eggs but alow the air to get in a littl bit. After a few day you will smell alcohol and leave it like that till the smell goes down and then you can use the liquick to mix with water to spray the garden. one to 100.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to try this next growing season (for us in Miami that's still a few months away!)... the commercial product I used this past year was too harsh for some of my plants and damaged them.

    ReplyDelete