Monday, January 5, 2009

A Couple of Great Books for Teaching Kids About Missions

As a missions educator I get to teach the kids who go to church with me once, sometimes twice a month about the work God is doing in the world. But as a mom who is passionate about missions, I just don't think that's enough. I think it's a good start...but I have sensed God leading us to do more in our homeschool and so missions has become the backbone of the majority of our learning.

For others who may want more than an occasional lesson on a particular country I wanted to recommend a couple of wonderful resources, Window on the World and You Can Change the World. (I have the version of You Can Change the World shown in the pic...but there are a few different versions.)

Sonlight Curriculum lists the book, Window on the World as a "wonderful resource for families who want to pray together for the success of God's work through missions all over the world." and I have to agree! It's over 200 pages of stories and information, color photos and prayer focus' for many, many different people groups.

As for You Can Change the World, it's a children's version of Window on the World. It has beautiful drawings rather than photos, is arranged alphabetically and includes little rhymes to help you remember each people group or country. For instance:

O is for Oman,

an oil-rich state;

The land of the palm,

the pearl, and the date.


I've used these books as devotional books, to show pics of people groups as I teach on them, for direction as to how to pray and for research in writing missions lessons. I hope you'll consider one or both of them for your home library. You won't be disappointed!

1 comment:

  1. You are so very welcome, but I can't take credit since you guys were the ones who planted the seed in my head in the first place! :)

    I hope you enjoy the budget process and I hope you guys can enjoy the learning process with the boys as you teach them all that fun stuff too!

    Love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete