Tuesday, November 4, 2008

My Sister's Election Day Party

My sister mentioned to me in passing that she and her hubby are throwing an Election Day Party for their kids. She has a 17 year old girl, a 12 year old girl and an 8 year old boy. We thought it was such a good idea that we're doing it too! So, I wanted to share her thoughts by posting a very short interview with her here on my blog.



Me: How are you getting your children involved in learning about the election process and the importance of casting an educated vote?

Sis: We talk about the election every day. We have talked about the issues and how we feel about them. Also- their school has gotten involved. They did a "mock" election this week where the students had the opportunity to cast their vote.

Me: You told me yesterday that you're also having an election part tonight with the kids. I'd love to hear more details about the party and how you came up with the idea.

Sis:
I've printed some signs for our house- to decorate with. I'm also printing some American Flags. We are having chicken noodle soup and I'm trying to think of something "patriotic" for dessert.... Party is all day/ until bed times! We will be watching the results throughout the night....so the party wont be ON every second...


My husband came up with the idea. He was a political science major in college and every 4 years he gets really excited. He and I both thought it would be great to make an event of election day.

Me: Why do you think it's important to get kids involved?

Sis: I think it's important for kids to understand that as Americans we have a unique right to vote our leaders into office. As a child and a young adult I didn't quite understand this. I did not get into politics until I was in my late 20's. If you can understand (at any level) some politics, you get a broader view of our country and the issues we face and I think it's important for kids to be a part of it no matter how young they are.


Isn't she wonderful?

On another note don't worry yourself sick about the results (pray instead, God is in control) and don't forget to cash in on all the freebies offered for voters!


"I Voted" Freebies for KC (some are nation wide, some just for Kansas City area.)


Have a great day,


No comments:

Post a Comment