Saturday, August 30, 2008

A taste of Haiti (missions lesson)


Sometimes in teaching missions I omit much of what I personally have learned about a country when I am teaching the kids. There are two reasons for this. One, I don't want them to worry excessively over the fallenness of our world and two, I want them to get interested in what God is doing around the world and in other cultures...not necessarily be caught up on current events. This was the case with my studies on Haiti. There is much poverty and sorrow in Haiti and we won't be addressing it directly but I wanted to acknowledge it here and ask for your prayer for the people of Haiti. Please check out The Hands and Feet Project and find out how you can help.

Geography
We always begin our missions lessons by locating the United States of America and the country we're studying on a map. We also like to look at and learn a little about the flag. Click here to print a flag and map of Haiti coloring page.

Missionaries
At this web site you can look up missionaries in Haiti that are a part of the Wesleyan Church. I don't know if it's okay to publish their pics on my blog so I'll have to let you look them up on your own. Please take the time to pray for at least one missionary with your kids. I've taught the kids in our church to pray 3 things for missionaries.
  1. That they would have the right words to share the gospel and God's love.
  2. That they would not be nervous or afraid.
  3. That they would be successful.

I learned this pattern for prayer here.

Art
Haiti is known for beautiful carvings and art that uses bright and beautiful colors. Click here for a market scene tote bag art project.

Cooking/Food
Enjoy the following traditional Haitian recipes. I find that the more of the 5 senses I can engage while teaching missions the better.

Citronaid
1 1/2 T. Lime juice
a dash of salt
2-4 T. sugar
a dash of Haitian Vanilla
The sugar and water need not be boiled, but the quality of the limeade is improved if they are. Boil the sugar and water for two minutes; chill, add lime juice, salt and vanilla.

Here is a link for traditional red beans and rice.

Banann Pezi
Start with plantains. Cut them open. Peel off the skin. Cut plantains into pieces. Fry them in hot vegetable oil. Remove from the oil and place the plantains between two plates. Smash the plantains and sprinkle with salt water, then return to the oil for a second frying. Remove from the oil and let drain. Cool and serve.

Coconut Candy
1 lb. brown sugar
1/2 t. lime juice
1 cup water
1 lb. grated coconut
In a saucepan, combine brown sugar and water. Simmer gently until mixture forms a thick syrup (this may take over 30 minutes). Have a cup of cold water ready. Drop a little of the syrup into it. When the syrup can be gathered up in the fingers as a soft ball, remove the saucepan from the fire. Stir in the lime juice and coconut immediately. Turn out onto a lightly buttered platter and spread to cool.

Music
On YouTube you can find some wonderful videos of Christian children from Haiti singing songs to praise our Lord. Here is one lovely example.

Games
Soccer is a big deal in Haiti!! Get out there and kick the ball around with your kiddos.

Missionary Blog
This is the link to the Thede family's blog. They are missionaries in Haiti. And here you will find the Wesleyan Medical Ministries in Haiti blog. Please pray for the people and ministries you learn about on these blogs.

I found the Citronaid, Coconut Candy and Bannan Pezi recipes in the Wesleyan Kids for Missions 2008 Leader's Manual.

No comments:

Post a Comment