Saturday, December 8, 2007

One of my family's favorite meals!

It may not surprise you to know that my family is a little pickey when it comes to food. My hubby and I are always trying to avoid white anything (bread, rice, etc.) and trans fat. My biggest boy won't eat beans, corn, cheese, tomatoes, peas or brussell spouts...on the other hand his favorite snack is one of his own invention. He calls it a carrot dog. It consists of a carrot wrapped in a piece of bread and smothered in ketchup. My little boy will not eat eggs or beans and has been known to pick the meat out of most dishes and just eat whatever is left. However he will eat frozen blueberries almost everyday for a snack. Both of my kids eat salad, broccoli and many other veggies without complaint so I guess it's not too bad.
Anyway, all that to say, I'd like to share a recipie with you that all of us can agree on. I got this recipie from a fabulous cookbook called More with Less.

Oven Beef Stew
Serves 4
350 degrees
2 hours

Shake in a bag:
2 T flour
1 t salt
dash of pepper
1 pound of beef cubes
Heat in a heavy skillet:
2 T shortening (I use butter or olive oil depending on my mood.)
Brown beef cubes, then place in a greased cassarole dish.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Add:
2 cups tomato juice (I use canned chopped tomatoes with the juice.)
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1/2 t dried basil
Cover and bake 1 hour.
Add:
4 medium potatoes, cubed
4 meduim carrots, cut in 1" peices
Bake 1 hour longer or until tender.

Everytime I make this dish I am told by my husband and my boys that it is one of the best meals I make!

No comments:

Post a Comment